We interrupt this food blog to notice how freaking awesome my life is:
1. First of all, it's 4:30 a.m. and I am wide awake, wearing sneakers, and about to go to the gym. That's kind of a miracle in itself.
2. The clinical depression I've been dealing with for most of my adult life is no longer really an issue. Yes, I take drugs every day and will probably have to forever, but they work. I'm not in therapy any more. Every 3 months I go to my shrink, I tell him I'm fine, he renews my prescriptions at the same dose. Most of the time, if you ask me how I am, the answer is "great," or "happy." Every once in a while I have a shitty day for no apparent reason -- just like everyone else on the planet.
3. I have a job. What's more, I'm good at my job, and the people I work with appreciate me.
4. I have a really nice place to live, and we can afford it. There's not a whole lot of money left after we pay the rent, but we can afford it.
5. I'm about to get married. Legally. Got a license and everything.
6. My relationship with my girlfriend is . . . . mind boggling. We are just about always on the same page. I am always glad to see her. We don't argue, and it's not because there is all kinds of repressed shit. Every once in a while we get grumpy with each other, then we realize it's low blood sugar, eat lunch and we're fine again.
It occurs to me that this list really isn't out of place on a food blog, because all of the above is contingent on what and how I eat. When I eat the way I'm supposed to, this is my life. When I don't, it all goes to shit pretty much immediately. I feel pretty stupid about how long it's taken me to get this, but I suppose I should set that aside and just focus on making sure it continues.
I feel really grateful.